9th Ethical Forum of the University Foundation
(11 Rue d'Egmontstraat, Brussels, Thursday 18 November 2010, 2-6 pm)
The University as a business: disaster or necessity?
If you wish to attend, please click here to download registration form and return it as soon as possible, either by e-mail to FU.US@universityfoundation.be or to University Foundation, 11 rue d'Egmontstraat, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, Fax: +32 2 513 64 11.
(click here to download document)
Universities, we often hear, should both function and behave more like business enterprises. Is this a welcome trend that will free us from much waste, complacency and arbitrariness? Or is it a trend to be fiercely resisted because it would corrupt the very core of what a university should ambition to be?
(click here to download programme)
Part 1: 14.00 - 15.45
Coffee break: 15.45
Part 2: 16.15 - 18.00
- Keynote presentations:
- Mathias Dewatripont, professor of economics at the ULB, chairman of the Solvay Brussels School of Business and Economics
- Jo Ritzen (president of the Board of the University of Maastricht, former Minister of education for the Netherlands)
- Prepared interpellations from the floor
- Challenges: Bart Pattyn, director of the Centre of Ethics of the K.U.Leuven
- Andreu Mas-Colell, until recently secretary general of the European Research council, former minister of higher education for Catalonia
- Yves Roggeman, member of the cabinet of the minister of higher education for the Communauté française Wallonie-Bruxelles, former vice-rector of the U.LB.
- André Oosterlinck, chairman of the Associatie K.U.Leuven, former rector of the K.U.Leuven
- Concluding remarks
Philippe Van Parijs, UCL, KULeuven & Harvard, coordinator of the Ethical Forum. (document)